Pick n Pay has become the first major retailer in Africa to test Lightning Network Payments at the point of sale by integrating the CryptoConvert Lightning Payments API.
This new Pick n Pay pilot allows its customers to pay using cryptocurrency on their smartphones.
The trial is currently available to customers at specific PnP stores. A list of the available test stores is shown below.
You will need the following to test Lightning Payments at the point of sale:
- A standard Lightning Wallet on your phone that is already set up and funded.
- We recommend Muun wallet or BlueWallet, but we have tested with a number of different wallets.
- You can fund most Lightning wallets directly with Bitcoin from an exchange or self-custody Bitcoin wallet. Please allow some time (about 30 minutes) for Blockchain processing before you try to spend your balance.
- The CryptoQR scanner app can scan Pick n Pay Point of Sale QR codes and link your Lightning wallet.
- Download the CryptoQR scanner app onto your device and follow the setup instructions to link your Lightning Wallet.
- The scanner app will request a 100 sats (about 40c) payment to ensure everything is set up correctly.
- When you are ready to pay for your items at the till, select or ask the cashier for the “Contactless QR” payment option, option 2 on the point-of-sale device.
- Scan the payment QR code using the CryptoQR scanner app. You will be forwarded to your Lightning wallet to complete the payment.
- Once the payment is complete in your Lightning Wallet, you will see the till slip print within a few seconds.
- Your transaction is complete.
Should anything go wrong and the point of sale does not confirm payment, you will need to wait 90 seconds for the point of sale to reset. If you sent a payment from your wallet, it will be returned to you within a few minutes.
Note: Some wallets like BlueWallet may take up to 24 hours to reflect the returned amount in your wallet.
You can always reach support by using the “help” function in the app or by contacting us: email@example.com
Active Test Stores
- Langeberg Mall, Mosselbay
- Stellenbosch Central and Stellenbosch Square
- Paarl Mall
- Local Big Bay
- Table Bay Mall
- Kenilworth Campus
- Kenilworth Pam Golding
- Mall of Africa
- Mall of the North
- Mall of the South
- Menlyn Mall
- PnP on Nicol
- Liberty Midlands Mall
- The Pavilion
- Tshwane Mall
- Beacon Bay
- Fourways Mall
- PnP Qualisave Carlton Centre
- PnP Qualisave Diepsloot
- PnP Qualisave Midrand
- PnP Qualisave Rustenburg
- PnP Qualisave Commercial Road
- PnP Qualisave North Beach
- PnP Qualisave The Workshop
- PnP Qualisave Goodwood
- Hyper Bloemfontein
- Hyper Durban North
- Hyper Northgate
- Hyper Ottery
For more information, don’t hesitate to get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org.